La Grange and Oak Park, IL – If you or a loved one is considering getting Invisalign, you’ve likely heard information about this remarkable treatment. Despite the relative ease of use, however, there are still ways you as a patient can boost your likelihood of having an excellent outcome. Below are some tips to get you started on your path to your ideal smile.
Seven Tips for Improved Invisalign Outcomes
- Set a timer. This deceptively simple technique can ensure that you are wearing your aligners the recommended 22 hours a day. As soon as you take your trays out, set a 30-minute timer to remind you when to put them back in. A phone alarm or kitchen timer would do the trick. The more often you wear your aligners each day, the faster you’ll be on your way to your ideal smile.
- Brush or refresh your aligners often. Since they’re in your mouth the vast majority of each day, aligners can develop a strange or unpleasant taste. Every time the aligners are out of your mouth, it’s best to brush, rinse, or soak them in water with a retainer cleaning tablet.
- Consider a removal tool. The thought of sticking your fingers in your mouth multiple times a day to remove your aligners probably doesn’t sound too appealing. Luckily, these days, there are removal devices widely available for Invisalign wearers. Their cost ranges from $3-$20, but they can protect your nails and your hygiene when taking out your trays.
- Be prepared when it comes to rough edges. Sometimes Invisalign trays can have rough edges on them from when they came out of the mold. To combat this, two helpful tools are wax and a nail file. If you aren’t able to schedule a trimming appointment with your orthodontist right away, you can try filing rough edges away with an emery board. If the problem persists, oral wax on the trouble spot can alleviate any discomfort you may experience in the meantime.
- Chewies can help immensely! Chewies are small rolls of spongy, plastic-like material (called Styrene Copolymer) that can be worn to close air gaps between your teeth and the Invisalign trays. By biting down on the chewies for just five minutes a day, you can ensure that your aligners will properly fit to your teeth.
- Be vigilant with your oral hygiene. Not only can inadequately-cleaned teeth allow harmful bacteria to flourish, but they can also stain more easily. If you drink coffee, tea, or red wine, be sure to thoroughly brush your teeth before putting your aligner trays back in. This can reduce the likelihood that your teeth will stain and will keep your mouth healthier overall.
- Wear your retainer. When your Invisalign treatment is finished, you’ll still need to wear a retainer afterward. While it might not sound ideal to continue wearing an orthodontic device after finishing treatment using a different one, this will give you the best results in the long run.
As always, it’s important to follow through with all of your orthodontist appointments, especially when it’s time to change alignment trays. Proper after-care when your Invisalign is finished will also ensure that your beautiful new smile lasts for a long time to come.
To find out more about how you can benefit from Invisalign, schedule a complimentary consultation with the outstanding team at Battistoni and Beam Orthodontics today. If you prefer, you may also call the La Grange office at 708.352.4500 or the Oak Park location at 708.848.5900 to speak with our experienced professionals.
© 2017 Millionairium and Battistoni and Beam Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Battistoni and Beam are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links