La Grange and Oak Park, IL – People seeking straighter teeth want to make sure they’re getting the most experienced and professional orthodontists available. But there’s another piece of the puzzle many are prone to overlook: the role of the patient when it comes to achieving the optimal orthodontics health.
La Grange and Oak Park Orthodontist Dr. Battistoni explains, “Patients oftentimes downplay their own role in their oral health outcomes. While there’s no substitute for a knowledgeable, well-trained healthcare professional, we only see patients for a minuscule amount of time in the grand scheme of things. What patients do when they’re away from us will usually make the most difference in how well their Orthodontics oral health improves.”
Here are some time-tested tips for patients to ensure their orthodontic treatments will have as positive an outcome as possible:
- Keep regular cleaning appointments. – Depending on what type of orthodontic treatment is being performed, dental cleanings should be done every three to six months. Regular visitations to an oral health professional can keep the mouth clean and disease-free.
- Practice good home health care. – Brushing twice daily and flossing once a day can help ward off any potential problems, as can following the orthodontist’s recommendations. For example, treatments like Invisalign need to be worn at least 22 hours a day, and patients shouldn’t eat or drink anything except water while wearing them. However, some people do not follow these directions and may come to regret the consequences when their treatment doesn’t provide the outcome they were expecting.
- Note any problems during treatment. – In between visits, patients may notice a loose bracket or a prominent wire. In this situation, they should call their orthodontist’s office immediately for a timely correction.
- Watch the diet. – Some foods pose significant challenges to those with orthodontia; hard foods (like apples, nuts, and uncooked carrots) and chewy comestibles (gum, caramel, and so forth) can cause more harm than good when it comes to orthodontic treatments.
- Think dialogue, not monologue. – Going to the orthodontist’s office can be intimidating for many people. Instead of nodding along when the doctor is provides instructions or asks if you have a question, be willing to engage in a conversation.
“I always ask if the patient has questions,” notes Dr. Battistoni. “It’s important for people to feel empowered, and comfortable enough to bring any and all concerns directly to their doctors and healthcare professionals. This will ensure they understand their treatment and will thus be more likely to follow through with regular, at-home care.”
No matter what treatments patients are having, it’s always essential to consult with a dental professional to ensure the highest level of care possible.
To learn more about achieving optimal orthodontic outcomes or to schedule an office visit with a qualified orthodontist, contact Battistoni and Beam Orthodontics at https://www.awesomebraces.com/office-visit/.
About Us: We at Battistoni and Beam Orthodontics have decades of experience and a genuine interest in our patients. Proudly serving the La Grange and Oak Park area with pride and dedication, we would be thrilled to talk to you today about your oral health goals.
© 2017 Millionairium and Battistoni and Beam Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Battistoni and Beam are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.